Thursday, January 1, 2009

Delayed Reaction.....

Around 5:30 on New Year's Eve my little girl came in with tears in her eyes and a hand on her tummy...yep, not the sign of celebration of a new year that I was hoping for. "Mommy, I don't feel good."

So Kensey and I sent Richard and Cody on up to the Jermain's house to bring in the new year and she and I "celebrated" together.

Funny how God works though. As I was holding her hair back so that she could, um, "celebrate"....I thought about when I was little and I dreamed of having my own family, my own little girl, my own son who of course would be the oldest, so he could protect his little sister. I thought about how good God has been to me. He has blessed me even when my blessing should have passed me by. I thought about the man I married and how he loves his God, and loves his family. So blessed. I thought about how I always so desired to have the house in the country, and here I sit. I thought about how I wanted the white fence--ok, so that's my neighbors fence, but I get to enjoy it..whatever, small detail. :-)

As I stroked her back and shed a few tears with her, I felt blessed. Blessed that our family's only real health concern is a stomach virus. I just buried a friend who left behind her husband and two boys. I have another friend who watches her son like a hawk in fear of the cancer returning. Yah, it was another life lesson--to be thankful that my only concern was my baby having the stomach flu.

My mind wondered through a small movie film that only God could have put together. The memories played in my mind all evening long. I am so thankful for family and friends. I am so thankful that I have a God who rules with a firm hand and a heart full of grace.

I went to bed holding that eleven year old baby girl as tight as I did the night I brought her home for the first time. She'd had a very rough night, her body completely worn out, but as I cuddled up to her stroking her hair away from her face she whispered, "Mommy, I love you"....yep, Blessed.

Blessings,
Jen

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Jen, such an honest post--I believe you're wise beyond your years. I go away feeling so blessed myself, thank you. I hope your daughter is all recovered, poor little girl. xo